Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Looking for Newbery

This Friday, December 26, marks the one-month countdown to the announcement of the Newbery Awards January 26, 2009, at 9:45 EST. With that in mind, Bill and I will be looking for Newbery in the next month.

Fuse #8 compiled a fabulous list of many Mock Newbery lists, and then compiled one list (scroll all the way down) with every title that had been mentioned somewhere, and the number of times each title was mentioned. For someone like me, who is way behind in her reading, it was the perfect holiday gift! So, I got online and immediately started to reserve these books from the public library, in hopes that I will actually have read the Newbery award winner, or at least the honors books, by the time the announcement is made! Even if my quest is not successful, and I don't read the actual Newbery Award winner, I will have a lot of fun in the process, and have read some fabulous books!

However, that brought up a possible theme for Bill and me for the next month -- "Looking for Newbery". From Dec. 26 until Jan. 25, we will be reading and posting regularly about the books that were on Fuse #8's compilation. We will give brief reviews and include our thinking about the books.

We hope you stop by and join us as we go "looking for Newbery"!

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I love this idea! Can't wait to see your posts. :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just was reserving for the possible caldecott contenders!! The wait lists were longer than I expected for certain titles. I may be buying some of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Literates, I posted today, January 9, 2009 -- the Bowl of Berries over at Anokaberry. These are our selections for the Best Books of 2008 for Middle Grade Readers. I tried to find an email for you and did not so I will connect this way. Many of the books you are posting in the countdown are in the Bowl. The Bowl is as far as I go -- I can't go less than 20...

    ReplyDelete