Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Best Week Ever!

The comic book appearance of this cover drew me to it, and the story inside kept me interested. A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee, could be young readers intro to the whole graphic novel craze. Now I'm not a big fan of the graphic novel and really haven't found too many I like, maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I like my novels to have more words than pictures, but if more were like this book, maybe I would begin to soften on that!

James and Eamon spend a week with Eamon's grandparents, Bill and Pam, at the beach. Bill and Pam have the notion that the boys will learn something while staying with them by attending Nature Camp each day. The boys have other ideas and do what two young boys will do, eat, play video games, watch too much TV, and, oh yeah, eat. Throughout the stay, Bill keeps trying to get the boys interested in Antarctica and offers to take them to a penguin exhibit. The boys avoid his interest by eating, playing video games, watching too much TV and, oh yeah, eating.

The pictures in the book are interesting to look at with their comic book qualities, but the quotes from the two boys are priceless. Upon their return from the last day of Nature Camp, James sums it up like this:

"I think it should be called Sit-Around Camp."

and Eamon like this:

"Yeah, or Sweat-a-lot Camp."

I think I have heard my own two kids describe "educational" experiences in the same way! In the end, the boys become as one and Bill refers to them as Jamon, and they demonstrate that the best week ever was not just a waste of time, and they did learn something, inspite of all of the adult interference.

All students will enjoy this colorful look at a week at the beach. It's my most recent PICK FROM THE PIT!

1 comment:

  1. I had not seen this book before. Looks intriguing.
    Thanks
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete